Government has released the official history of the Indian Armed Forces participation in wars, the details of which are as under:-
Publications of Official History of Indian Armed Forces in World War-II
- The Retreat from Burma 1941-42.
- The Reconquest of Burma 1942; Vol.I.
- The Reconquest of Burma 1944-45; Vol.II
- The Arakan Operations 1942-45.
- Campaigns in South East Asia 1941-42.
- Campaign in Western Asia.
- The North African Campaigns 1940-43.
- East African Campaign 1940-41.
- The Campaign in Italy 1943-45.
- India and the War.
- Expansion of the Armed Forces and Defence Organisation 1939-45.
- Defence of India-Policy & Plans.
- Post-War Occupation Forces: Japan & South East Asia.
- Technical Services: Ordnance & IEME (Indian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers).
- The Corps of Engineers 1939-47.
- Indian War Economy.
- The Royal Indian Navy 1939-45.
- History of the Indian Air Force 1933-45.
- Administration (Medical Services).
- Medical Surgery and Pathology (Medical Services).
- The Campaigns in the Western Theatre (Medical Services).
- Campaigns in the Eastern Theatre (Medical Services).
- Preventive Medicine (Medical Services).
- Statistics (Medical Services).
- Medical Stores and Equipment (Medical Services).
Publications of Official History of Indian Armed Forces During the Post Independence Period
- Operation Polo – The Police Action Against Hyderabad, 1948.
- Operation Vijay – The Liberation of Goa and other Portuguese Colonies in India, 1961.
- The Congo Operation, 1960-63.
- History of the Custodian Force (India) in Korea, 1953-54.
- History of Operations in Jammu & Kashmir, 1947-48.
- Operation Shanti – Indian Army on Peace Mission.
- Military Costumes of India.
- Bharatiya Sainik Vesha – Bhusha (Hindi).
- Stories of Heroism (Param Vir Chakra and Ashoka Chakra Winners).
- Stories of Heroism (Param Vir Chakra and Mahavir Chakra Winners).
- Veerta Ki Kahaniyan (Param Vir Chakra Aur Mahavir Chakra Vijeta).
- Terrific Responsibility – The Battle for Peace in Indo-China (1954-75).
- Dushkar Dayitva – Hind-Chin Mein Shanti ke Liye Sangharsh (1954-75).
- Stories of Heroism (Ashoka Chakra and Kirti Chakra Winners).
- Veerta ki Kahaniyan (Ashok Chakra Aur Kirti Chakra Vijeta).
- The India-Pakistan War of 1965: A History.
- The India-Pakistan War of 1971: A History.
- Saga of Valour (Param Vir Chakra and Ashoka Chakra Winners).
The histories of operations conducted by the Indian Armed Forces are compiled on the basis of official records. Hence, there is hardly any gap in knowledge base of contemporary military history and war studies in India compared to advances made at global level.
The Government recognises the need to re-examine the capture and recording of historical events related to military operations and war records to ensure a higher order of professionalism in the services.
The History Division, Ministry of Defence, is entrusted with the responsibility of undertaking the research and compilation of various military operations conducted by the Indian Armed Forces from time to time. Further, to promote the study of military history in the Indian Universities, the Ministry of Defence also provides two research fellowships to the researchers working on the subject related to military history. Occasionally, the History Cells of the three Services also write / sponsor the projects relating to their service.
This information was given by Raksha Rajya Mantri Dr. Subhash Bhamre in a written reply to Smt Poonam Mahajan in Lok Sabha today.