The Govt. of India declared elementary education as a basic human right of every child. The Union Government of India has taken various steps to uplift the status of women by implementing various schemes including free education for girls.
In order to achieve and promote girls education, UGC has introduced a Post Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child with an aim to compensate direct costs of girl education to all levels especially for such girls who happen to be the only girl child in their family.
- To support post graduate education of single girl child in postgraduate courses only.
- To recognize the value of observance of small family norm.
Girl students who are admitted to various PG courses in the following Universities / Colleges and happen to be the only girl child in the family:
- Universities/Institutions/Colleges included under section 2(f) & and 12(B) of UGC Act.
- Deemed to be Universities included under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 and eligible to receive grants-in-aid from UGC.
- Universities/Institutions/College funded by Central/State Government.
- Institutes of National Importance.
Girl students without having any brother or the girl student who are twin daughters/ fraternal daughter may also apply for scholarship under the aforesaid scheme. In a family if one son and one daughter is available then girl child will not be considered for scholarship under the scheme.
- Age Limit: Girl students up to the age of 30 years at the time of admission in PG courses are eligible.
- The scheme is applicable to such single girl child who has taken admission in regular, fulltime first year Masters Degree course in any designated university or a post graduate college. This scholarship is available to PG-I year student only.
- Admission to PG Course in Distance education mode is not covered under the scheme.
Nature of Assistance:
Amount of fellowship: Rs. 3,100/- p.m for a period of two years only (10 months in the year) i.e. full duration of a PG course. No other additional grant will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges etc.
How to apply?
Click here to apply online.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2018.
University Grants Commission
Phone: 011-23604139, 01123604502,011236045049
For further details on the same, click here.