Mr. Rodney D. Ryder is a Partner with Scriboard, a full service commercial law firm with cutting edge specialisation in technology, new media and intellectual property laws. He is presently Advisor to the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Government of India on the implementation of the Information Technology Act, 2000. He has been nominated as a ‘Leading Lawyer’ in Intellectual Property, Technology, Communications and Media Law by Asia Law, Who’sWhoLegal, Asia Legal 500, amongst other International publications. Mr. Ryder is also Advisor to the Data Security Council of India [a NASSCOM initiative] on the structuring of industry data privacy and information security policies and contractual standards.
His second book, Intellectual Property and the Internet, published by LexisNexis is perhaps the only one of its kind in Asia. The text has been acknowledged to be an authoritative work by the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India and has been quoted in the first and only judgement by the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India on domain names. He is Advisor to the National Internet Exchange of India [NiXI] and a member of the panel of independent and neutral arbitrators with NiXI. He is also a member of Supreme Court Bar Association [SCBA], Delhi High Court Bar Association [DHCBA], International Bar Association [IBA] and Inter Pacific Bar Association [IPBA], ‘Legal Action Group’ constituted by the Ministry of Information Technology and Communication, Government of India, to advice on the implementation of the ‘Act’ [www.cca.gov.in].
He is in the Advisory Board of Corporate Law Advisor [CLA], Patent and Trademark Reporter [PTR] and Law Wire™. He is also an Honorary Legal Advisor of Nepal Telecom Authority [NTA], Computer Association of Nepal [CAN], Office of the Attorney General, Sri Lanka, Crime Police Station, C. O. D. Head Quarters, Bangalore, Cyber Crime Police Station, Hyderabad and Delhi Police Training Centre. He is in the Editorial Board of The GNLU Journal of Law, Development and Politics [GJLDP].
Conferences / Seminars
- “Telecommunications Regulation in India: “Converging” telegraph, cable broadcasting, satellite and the Internet”, presented at the Communications Law Committee Session at the International Bar Association [IBA] Annual Conference at Durban, South Africa, October 2002.
- “Data Protection, Privacy and Information Security in Asia”,presented at the Technology and E-commerce Committee Session at the International Bar Association [IBA] Annual Conference at San Francisco, USA, September 2003.
- “Managing Intellectual Property in a Borderless World: Version 2.0”,presented at the UIA International Seminar on Information Technology Law and Governance, Bangalore, 2005.
- “Data Protection: Strategies for Compliance in Asia”, presented at the Computer Law Association [iTech Law], First Asian Conference, Bangalore, 2005.
- “Intellectual Property Strategies: Concept to Commercialisation”, presented and taught at the Institute of Judicial Training & Research; Lucknow, 2007.
- “Intellectual Property and the Internet”,presented and taught at the Judges’ Round Table; Judicial Academy, Bangalore 2007.
- “Data Protection, Privacy and Outsourcing”,presented at the International Bar Association [IBA], Annual Conference, Singapore, 2007.
- “Legal Issues in the IT and Telecom Industry”,workshop at the Judicial Academy, Hyderabad, 2007.
- “Regulating ‘Indian’ Cyberspace – Law, Technology and Governance”,workshop conducted at the Karnataka Judicial Academy, July 2008.
- “Regulating ‘Indian’ Cyberspace – Law, Technology and Governance”,workshop conducted at the National Judicial Academy, December 2008.